Friday, October 24, 2008

Sometimes you need a reason to go for a walk...

One of the many reasons why I am very proud to work for Holland America Line is how much time, money and resources the company gives back to the community. And when I say community….essentially I mean anywhere we cruise. We may donate food and beds to orphanages in the Caribbean or donate funds to the Seattle Children’s theater in Seattle. All I know is that Holland America Line goes to many lengths to give back…and I think it’s rad!
We started something called “On Deck for the Cure” and it has proven to be a one of a kind event in the Cruise Industry. Our ships have partnered with the Susan G. Komen breast cancer foundation to raise money for a cure. We created a 5k walk that is held on every single one of our ships on every single cruise (over 500) that year. Guests can pay $15 and will receive an “On Deck for the Cure” T-Shirt, pink wristband and enjoy a pink lemonade party afterwards. The 5k walk equals out to about 12 laps around the ship. Holland America is the only cruise line that has a teak deck that goes all the around….you can take one continuous lap. The other lines don’t have decks that go all the way around. The guests start the walk in the morning….usually on a sea day (Where the ship won’t be docking in a port) and then enjoy the festivities afterwards. We have been doing it for 2 years and have already exceeded one million dollars! Yeah buddy!

Well….today in the office was our land-based version of “On Deck for the Cure”. $15…T-Shirt, Bracelet AND a balloon. Tight. About 51% of my department signed up to do it. See Pic below.




My work is right on the ship canal that connects the sound to Lake Union. We have this incredible trail that follows the canal that we walked. Pretty awesome! *Luz, you would have LOVED it! Fall leaves GALOR!!*

See pics of our nuttiness below.

I was pretty pumped to get a balloon!


It’s blurry…but look at the color of that scarf! LOL! I was pumped to get the walk started….so I kicked it off with a sweet race walker impersonation. This is an action shot!


I love how Ena decided the balloon would better accentuate her outfit if worn as a belt. She was right


We took a break on the canal to take more pic


Inappropriate! Someone call Human Resources!


You see the big pumpkin? Yeah I know…..I look fierce. Don’t hate!


Ok….so I made it my mission to make everyone laugh the entire walk. This was me after explaining my theory that all boy bands are sent to a special school to learn the official “boy band hand gestures while singing passionately”. I nailed it!


We came across these hurdles and….



Reflection


5k walks make you tired….
All in the name to save the boobies!

No comments: