Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Single Issue Voter

So up until yesterday evening I was undecided about who I was going to vote for. I have deliberately sheltered myself (for the most part) from all of the political BS and slander that has dominated our airwaves and TVs and internet for the past year. Not having a TV at home certainly helps. But I really didn’t want my decision to be influenced by lies and negativity. I think our media in this country is so ridiculously biased that it makes me sick. I am sure a lot of the people who are voting today are misinformed.

I wasn’t sure who to vote for……A lot of issues I lean towards the conservative side. But then again….a lot of stuff on Obama’s platform I think are better for this country. I was going to spend last night praying about who God would want me to vote for. Ultimately He is in control so no matter what….I am going to trust that whoever is the next President is the one (good or bad) that is supposed to lead this country for the next 4 years. I am a Christian first and American second and I needed to be reminded of that.

I came across a scientific journal that now scientifically proves what I have known all along. Human life begins the second of conception. This finding now erodes the Pro-Choice argument about when a fetus can be considered a human life. It is from the minute the sperm meets the egg, folks. At that point….it is a child. I was led James 1:27 which says “Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God means caring for orphans and widows in their distress.” As well as Proverbs 31:8-9 “Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy.”

It is obvious to me that an unborn child on its way to meet its destruction is, in fact, an orphan. Its parents evidently do not want this child. They would prefer to discard it for their own selfish ambitions. This child needs to be protected. And since it has no voice and cannot speak up…someone needs to do it for them.

The reason Abortion is the only factor when considering whom I should vote for is because of how close the Freedom of Choice Act (FOCA) is to being passed. The next president will surely be the scale tipper on whether or not this bill passes. The FOCA would remove most of even the modest restrictions on abortion that have already been passed, including the state laws requiring young girls to notify their parents before getting an abortion. It would remove legal protections from Doctors who, on moral grounds, refuse to assist in an abortion. (How ironic right? The woman can CHOOSE to abort a child but a Doctor is not protected if they CHOOSE to not abort the baby. Not exactly freedom of choice is it?!) The Dems and Obama favor paying for abortions for the poor- making those who morally oppose abortion have to pay taxes that will be used to pay for what these citizens, such as myself, view as murder. FOCA opposes any substantive ban on partial-birth abortion. A partial birth abortion requires the mother to partially deliver the child and then the child is killed by sucking its brains out. Lovely huh?!

It is very popular right now to raise your voice on issues such as Africa, Aids, Global warming, the war in Iraq and Afghanistan, etc. But it is not popular right now to speak up for all of the children we have lost due to abortion. Some say that the government should have no say in what a woman wants to do to her body. But it is absurd that we have so many laws protecting human life yet these laws don’t extend to unborn children. Some may consider me to be ignorant for choosing to decide based on one issue. But consider this. While each of the 4,000 US soldiers who have died in this war is a tragedy, that number equals the amount of abortions performed in 2 DAYS in the US. Similarly, the number of pre-born babies who have died this year eclipses the number of non-Americans who’ve died in the war in Iraq and Afghanistan COMBINED. What a sobering and sad statistic.

So today I chose to vote in a way that would protect and give a voice to all of the un-born children in America.

“For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb.” Psalm 139:13

No comments: