Friday, November 21, 2008

Ah Jeans Day. Would have been nice to know ya....

--Let me preface what I am about to tell you with this...

Occasionally our director, Page, will decide on a Thursday that Friday should be Jeans Day. Since we aren’t allowed to dress casual in my office it is a pretty big deal when we have jeans day. You long for it. Everything at work is jolly good when you are in jeans and sporting a cherry red pair of Chuck Taylor’s. At least it is for me! Usually Page’s announcement comes out at 4:30pm. Well about 1/3 of our department has already left by 4:30! I sit at my desk and I think about how AWESOME jeans day is and how pissed I would be if I came in and didn’t know it was jeans day because Page sent the email out after I left. Not cool! So I will pull up the office contact list and call everyone who has already left to tell them that “Tomorrow is jeans day! Party time!” It’s the least I could do….

End Preface--

Yesterday we had our weekly office meeting. Another department from our head office came over for a presentation. After the presentation my boss, Mike, and I needed to meet with them to discuss some onboard stuff. So we left the rest of the office to talk about their numbers and have the usual bitch-fest about how this is wrong and that is wrong and etc, etc. (Sorry….but can you tell that I loathe these meetings? They don’t even affect onboard sales. Mike and I go because we feel we should because we are in the same office but none of it applies to us. So when they start the bitch-fest I literally want to bang my head against a wall! They can be so ungrateful. **Ok so I just gotta rant for a bit. My job is difficult at times. I feel that I am underpaid. But I HAVE a job. My job is pretty secure. I can pay my bills and I have great medical insurance. The current state of the US is scary right now and people are losing their jobs. I am grateful for my job and I don’t want to spend any more time bitching about how things should be better and complaining about this and that. I am happy with what I have…shout out to the Big G!** Anyways…so Mike and I head to office and sit down with these people for our meeting. Tra-la-la…the rest of the day continues as a normal Thursday would.

Now fast forward to 8:31am this morning (I was late…had to make a coffee stop.) I walk in the office and there is a group of 4-5 coworkers congregating right near the door. I, wearing heels, look down on them and notice *GASP* ‘they are wearing jeans.’ What?! So I exclaim “Is it jeans Day?!” They look at me and one of them says “Yeah…we announced it in the meeting yesterday. You and Mike were there.” I pointed out that after the presentation Mike and I left for our meeting. Their eyes got wide. Oh the horror!! Fellow comrades left out of Jeans Day awesome-ness! Nooooooooooooo! They felt so bad….especially since they know that I am the one that calls everyone when the announcement is late. It made me laugh. I told them I didn’t really care because I am fairly comfortable today (even though I am wearing a skirt. I do have my high black boots on, though. And under said boots I am wearing my knee high pink socks with white stripes that are usually reserved for kickball. It’s my way of rebelling against ‘The Man’. “Ha! Business Attire…right-o. But if you only new what socks I am wearing! BWAHAHAAAAAA!” ) plus I am wearing a scarf and as long as I have one wrapped around my neck I feel all warm and snuggly and all is right with the world. BTW- This scarf obsession has taken over my life. LOL!

One of my coworkers stated “Well you look good. You will look better than anyone else today!” Hmph! So I told her (while doing the super ghetto “Ima bout to let you have it“ neck roll just to emphasize my point) “I always look better than everyone else!” *WINK*

Mike and I decided that on Monday….we will be wearing jeans.

No comments: