Monday, January 5, 2009

I found a Romertopf....

I love to cook and I love kitchen supplies. So Saturday afternoon was a good day for me…lemme tell ya why.

I went to Goodwill to do a little shopping. I love thrift stores. It’s an excuse to be silent and to lose myself in piles of other people’s junk…which usually ends up being my treasure! While walking through the kitchen accessories aisle I see a terra cotta pot. It was unused and the stickers were still on it. I look at the top of the pot. It’s a Romertopf. I looked twice to make sure my eyes weren’t deceiving me! They weren’t. So I freaked! Romertopf are the top of the line for these terra cotta pots. I have wanted one for a very long time but they are super expensive. The one I found was a medium size. Will hold about 2-5 lbs of goodies inside. I checked the price tag. $5. FIVE BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!! Are you kidding me? Clearly someone at Goodwill has no idea what this was worth. So I put the Romertopf in a football hold and stiff-armed my way to the checkout before anyone figured out the gem I just found. WOOT! I looked it up online and the one I found is worth more than $50. Double WOOT!

So I seasoned it (baked it with salt water. Then some lard. Then it was good to go.) and then did a little happy dance around my kitchen. Yesterday after church I walked to Pike’s Place Market and picked up the goodies for dinner. I decide ‘Chicken and Roots” sounded good. I picked up 1 of each. An onion, carrot, rutabaga, parsnip, turnip and a chicken breast on the bone. Once I got home I soaked the pot in water for about 15 mins then threw it all in there with 6 cloves of garlic, 2 sprigs rosemary, chicken stock and pepper. Oh my goodness….can you say most delicious meal ever! I got my grub on for sure. And I had wonderful leftovers for lunch today!

I am so excited about my $5 purchase that I want to cook with the Romertopf every night this week.

1 comment:

Anders said...

Lucky you! I have a Schlemmertopf, excellent for bread especially the no.knead bread